Follow our journey

Follow our journey as we conquer our first dig and the various projects we take on to make a home sweet home.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Lettuce, Spinach, and Bush Beans, Oh My!

It was so disappointing last year to see our lovely big yard go to waste. We just didn't have the time or the money to invest in it.

I really didn't want to miss out again on having a garden this year.So we had to at least get one raised bed ready for late April....And I'm happy to report that we made the deadline!

Earlier in the week, we went by Home Depot and purchased two of these cedar bed kits.
We had toyed around with the idea of purchasing and building the cedar beds (to fill a 15'x6' spot) from scratch (around $500-700 dollars for material and hardware)...and decided that these '$80 dollars a pop' cedar beds could do the trick for a few years. The only downside is that it reaches a full height of about 14 inches above the ground. I had been hoping to go a little higher to keep the animals out, but we will see how this works. I may build a net system to cover my little seedlings.
 
Josh happened to be out of town and I was bored, so I got up early Saturday and started the assembly process. The bed goes together really well. The leveling of the ground and digging of the trenches took me much longer. All in all, it took me about 5 hours (the frame took about 20 minutes). Oh, and as usual, the animals were O' So Helpful....
 











This is how large the bed will be when we add the second half. Got to get rid of that pesky stump first...



 Once Josh got back in to town, he helped me mix the soil and spread it out in the bed. I used a mixture of the existing clay/soil, sand, and garden soil for vegetables. I have already planted my spinach seeds as well as my salad mix seeds. My indoor seeds are also all set up. That includes lavender and bell peppers. In about a week or two, I will be planting the bush beans and the cucumbers, right after the last frost date (I'm guessing, since the weather has been so funky).

So, it's coming together and I can't wait to get the second bed in so I can have my herb garden. I will definitely be posting pictures of our fresh veggies this summer. Did I mention that we got 10 bags of mulch from the local boyscout troop? Woohoo! I will post pictures of what we do with that....even if it is just leaving them neatly stack in our driveway, Har Har.



Cheers,
 
Rachel
 




1 comment:

  1. After you left this evening, I went and looked at this blog again. I must have just looked at the photos before because they all looked familiar but I'm guessing that's all I did (must have been in a hurry) because the story was not familiar.
    The bed looks great. Izzy looks like he was such a BIG help (as cats tend to be). Do you want me to bring you some more thyme? I also have garlic chives if you are interested.
    I FINALLY used the mulch this month. It was nicely 'aged'

    ReplyDelete